TOP STORIES
Maxwell signs with Washington Freedom, talks about his recent break from IPL

Glenn Maxwell has struck a deal in the Major League Cricket by signing with Washington Freedom as he is set to play in the second season of the league. Maxwell has joined Aussie teammates Steve Smith and Travis Head, who are also slated to play for Washington Freedom, by signing this deal to play in the league. Other than Smith and Head, Maxwell will connect with Aussie legend Ricky Ponting, who coaches Washington Freedom.
“Very excited to announce that I’ve signed for the Washington Freedom during this MLC tournament this year. It's a tournament that I watched from afar last year and was extremely excited about hopefully playing this tournament one day and luckily enough the timings have aligned this year. I’ve been speaking to Ricky Ponting and a few other players a fair bit over the last little period and certainly extremely excited to get stuck in,” Maxwell said on ESPN’s Around The Wicket.
"Having Travis and Steve there and Ricky, three guys who I'm extremely familiar with, I think that sort of probably tipped me over the edge. You sort of um and ah about that time of the year about where you're going to be and whether you take the time off, whether you play the Hundred or what you might do and I think just having those couple of Aussies there and I think the opportunity to be a part of something really big in MLC and grow something is really exciting as well,” Maxwell said.
Maxwell also revealed the reason behind his decision to ask RCB skipper Faf du Plessis to drop him from RCB lineup for the match against Sunrisers Hyderabad two days back.
"The decision just sort of came I suppose. I was pretty low on confidence. had a good couple of net sessions and just went out to the ground and felt really tentative. I wasn't able to really commit to my game plans and just felt like if I had kept playing and playing that role, I don't think the results would change too much."
“So I just went to Faf and said, look, I think we need to try someone else in my position and had the same conversation with Andy Flower, the coach, and to me it was a bit of a no-brainer. So, I think it sort of saves the tough conversation they might have to have about dropping me."
"I felt really at peace with it. Obviously, I'm frustrated that I wasn't able to get the results I would have liked but comfortable in the fact that I know I feel like I've made the right decision for the team and it's certainly not like I'm taking an extended break away from the game."
"I just think it's a better opportunity for someone else to have a crack at my position. I know I'm an important part of this side but at the moment I'm not playing well enough to I suppose warrant a spot."
Maxwell won’t be available for RCB’s upcoming match against KKR on Sunday as he has copped a hip strain. However, he didn’t rule out chances of him getting back into the RCB lineup if spot is available.
"I've actually got a little bit of a hip strain so I've got a few more days off and during recovery. So I've got a little period here where I'm still training, still trying to get myself right. If there is a spot that becomes available, I'll obviously put my hand up and take it. But as I said at the moment there’s four overseas slots and those guys need a chance to take their opportunity. If an opportunity does come up again during this IPL, hopefully I’m ready to take it,” Maxwell said.
"It's not one of those things where I've set a date that I'll be out for three games then I'll come back whenever I'm ready. That's that's not how it works. I haven't been at a level that's good enough to warrant a spot on the side this year,” He said.
Tags
More News

England’s Olly Stone ruled out of Test summer with knee injury
England fast bowler Olly Stone is set to be ruled out of England’s upcoming Test assignments after undergoing surgery for a right knee injury, demanding a 14-week rehabilitation. Stone played in England’s two Tests against Sri Lanka last year, claiming seven wickets. However, with the latest development, he will miss the One-Off Test against Zimbabwe and a five-matc...

“I’m the highest-paid cricketer”: Venkatesh Iyer fires back at critics
After facing failures in the initial games, KKR star batter Venkatesh Iyer finally got back to his best, blasting 60 off 29 deliveries and powering Kolkata Knight Riders to post a monumental victory target. Iyer was bought by KKR for INR 23.75 crore, making him the third most expensive buy in IPL history. Iyer, who has been a formidable player for KKR in the middle order, was a...

“Don't think it's the price tag that's affecting him”: Former Indian star on Pant’s poor form
Wicket-keeper batter Rishabh Pant was the costliest buy by far in IPL’s history at the mega auction last year in November after he was roped in by Lucknow Super Giants for INR 27 cr. However, under his leadership, LSG haven’t had the start they would have imagined, losing two of the first three games at the ongoing Indian Premier League.
...
LSG vs MI: All you need to know, head to head, possible XI
Having faced a tough start to the season, anxiety is running high for LSG and MI ahead of their clash on Friday at Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium, Lucknow. With each side having secured just one win from their opening three matches, the upcoming clash is hugely important for both sides. As the two teams come against each other, the...

Chapman ruled out of final ODI against Pakistan as well
New Zealand batter Mark Chapman will continue to remain on the sidelines for the ongoing ODI series against Pakistan. Chapman, who was out of the second game due to a hamstring injury, will miss the third and final ODI as well. The third match is set to be played at Bay Oval in Mount Maunganui on Saturday. New Zealand are currently leading the series 2-0 after demolishing Pakis...