TOP STORIES
Marcus Stoinis named Melbourne Stars' new captain

All-rounder Marcus Stoinis has been named Melbourne Stars' new skipper ahead of the start of upcoming season of Big Bash League. Stoinis' appointment comes after Glenn Maxwell stepped down at the end of last season. Stoinis will look to take the side to greater heights as he takes over from Maxwell just ahead of the new season. Maxwell, on the other hand, relinquished the captaincy in order to focus on his game.
"I had a little bit of a taste of captaining the side in 'Maxi's' absence last year and loved the opportunity, so to be given the role full time is a great honour," Stoinis said.
"The Stars have been such a constant in my life every summer for the last 10 years and I truly believe with the group we have assembled this season both on and off the field we can bring some long overdue success to the club."
Maxwell took up the captaincy reins at the Melbourne Stars in BBL8 and made an instant impact, leading the side to decider in his first two seasons as captain. However, Stars haven't played up to the expectations in the last few seasons.
"I want to acknowledge and thank Glenn Maxwell for all his efforts in leading the side over the past five seasons and he will continue to be a wonderful resource for everyone at the club," said Stars' general manager Blair Crouch.
“Marcus demonstrated his leadership ability last year and has been a senior member of the side for a long time."
“It’s wonderful to have someone who has been at the Stars almost from our inception lead our club in BBL|14.”
Tags
More News

IPL 2025: Buttler stars as GT down RCB
Jos Buttler struck a masterclass 73-run knock to power Gujarat Titans to an eight-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bengaluru at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru on Wednesday. GT’s blistering performance also snapped RCB’s two-match win streak as they chased down the target of 170 with significant ease.
Sent in to bat, RCB...

Yashasvi Jaiswal to represent Goa, to move from Mumbai
Indian opener Yashasvi Jaiswal is set to leave Mumbai to represent Goa from the 2025-26 season of domestic cricket. The 23-year-old, Yashasvi Jaiswal, who has evolved into a prolific batter across all formats, has reportedly emailed the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) seeking a No Objection Certificate (NOC).
"He has sought a NOC from us and has cited that...

“Things have obviously changed”: Rohit Sharma on his new role at MI
Indian skipper Rohit Sharma, who captained the Mumbai Indians to five IPL titles, has been seen in a new role at the franchise over the past two seasons of the IPL, playing as a proper batter. All-rounder Hardik Pandya succeeded Rohit at the helm last year ahead of the IPL 2024, but under him Mumbai had a disappointing group-stage exit. Opening up about his new...

“Punjab curator”: Zaheer Khan’s massive remark post LSG’s home defeat
In the 13th match of the ongoing IPL, visiting team Punjab Kings thrashed hosts Lucknow Super Giants by 8 wickets with 22 balls to spare on Tuesday in Lucknow. With the defeat, LSG became the third team after Kolkata Knight Riders and Chennai Super Kings to cop a loss at home ground. Speaking after the defeat, LSG mentor Zaheer Khan said t...

NZ vs PAK: Faheem Ashraf, Naseem Shah’s efforts in vain as Pakistan slump to heavy defeat in 2nd ODI
Pakistan crashed to a crushing 84-run defeat in the second ODI match against New Zealand at Seddon Park in Hamilton on Wednesday, allowing New Zealand to claim a series-clinching 2-0 lead in the three-match series.
Despite late fightback from Faheem Ashraf and Naseem Shah, flogging 73 and 51 respectively, Pakistan were bowled out for ...